
The Israeli military announced on Wednesday that it had killed a high-ranking Hezbollah commander in the Lebanese capital, Beirut.
The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said on Telegram that it had "eliminated Hajj Yusuf Ismail Hashem, the Hezbollah's Southern Front Commander."
The Iran-backed Shiite organization has not yet commented on the claim, though Lebanese media reported that Hezbollah confirmed his death.
Seven people were killed and 26 others were injured in the overnight attack in a neighbourhood on the southern outskirts of the city, Lebanon's Health Ministry said.
Hezbollah said in a statement that Mohammad Baqir al-Nabulsi, a well-known Hezbollah member and the nephew of Hezbollah spokesman Mohamed al-Nabulsi, who was killed by Israel in 2024, was killed.
"A convoy of around four black cars had arrived to the area of Jnah when the loud blasts took place," a resident in the Beirut neighbourhood told dpa.
All cars had been removed by Wednesday morning, but the street where the attack took place was full of blackened debris.
The IDF said the Israeli Navy, directed by the Intelligence Directorate and Northern Command, conducted a strike in Beirut and killed Hashem.
It said Hashem's “Southern Front” was responsible for carrying out terrorist activities targeting Israeli civilians and for combat operations against IDF soldiers in southern Lebanon.
It added that "as a commander of the unit, Hashem advanced and led the rehabilitation of Hezbollah, and commanded the rocket launches and hostile aerial attacks toward Israeli territory,"
The attack took place shorthly after midnight.
The army also hit overnight a car in Khaldeh, 12 kilometres south of Beirut.
The Iran-backed Hezbollah militia had earlier again fired rockets and drones at northern Israel. The Israeli rescue service Magen David Adom reported several people injured, including a child who was slightly hurt.
After nearly a year of war between Israel and Hezbollah, a ceasefire was agreed in November 2024.
Hezbollah resumed attacks on Israel following the start of the Iran war more than a month ago, prompting Israel to respond with heavy airstrikes and ground operations in southern Lebanon.
LATEST POSTS
- 1
Ancient Pompeii construction site reveals the process for creating Roman concrete - 2
I binged all 24 Hallmark Christmas movies in less than 30 days. I emerged a changed man. - 3
Understanding climate change in America: Skepticism, dogmatism and personal experience - 4
France to build new nuclear aircraft carrier, Macron says - 5
Why this Iranian island looks like Mars after it rains
Trial of pro-Palestine activist begins
The Fate of Rest: Patterns in Shrewd Beds
Dad issues urgent plea to find stem cell donor for his son
MEPs urge Commission leaders to stop Russia from returning to the Venice Biennale
IDF begins destroying homes used by Hezbollah as forces move deeper into southern Lebanon
US FDA panel to weigh bid to market nicotine pouches as lower-risk than cigarettes
Defense Minister Katz finally condemns Jewish extremist violence against Palestinians
December’s full moon is the last supermoon of the year. Here’s what to know
3 Must-Change Settings for iPhone Clients: Safeguard Yourself !













